Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ENTRY 1

Quote: "I knew he would soon strike, and while dreading the blow, I mused on the disgusting and ugly appearance of him who would presently deal it" (12).

Reflection: I cannot understand how someone can accept being repeatedly beaten for no purpose or plausible reason. However, I greatly admire her courage and strength to fight silently within herself day after day. It is surprising that such a solemn and sorrowful girl could find any kind of light or amusement in that kind of lose-lose situation. Personally, if I knew full and well that I was going to get the snot knocked out of me, I do not think I would have had the energy to internally mock my abuser's lack of physical attraction. From reading this one small quote, I can confidently say that I cannot relate to Jane Eyre's personality. I could never silence myself or accept wrongful punishment the way that young girl does every day, however, that is not something I am ashamed of. It is wise for her to be patient and quiet because the consequences would be radical, yet, with my personality, I would prefer to face the consequences of a poor home then let myself be degraded by some immature, spoiled brat.

No comments: