Quote: "I said this whilst I knelt down at, and unlocked a trunk which contained a brace of loaded pistols: I meant to shoot myself" (310).
Reflection: At some point before his meeting with Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester wanted to kill himself. He was so miserable with his faulty marriage to a crazed woman set up by his father and brother that he no longer wanted to experience life. But who could blame him? His family hated him when he lived, his wife wanted to kill him, he had no one to befriend, if I were as unfortunate as he was at that time I may have considered the same solution. His future seemed to lead into a black hole of failure. He could not legally marry or find someone to spend the rest of his life with as long as that demon was still breathing in the third story room. He did not have the chance to prove himself to his father and brother who prejudiced against him for reasons unknown. I do not think anyone should take their own life no matter how distressed or hopeless their life may seem because look how Mr. Rochester's has turned out. No doubt it is kinda crappy now that he betrayed Jane, but for the time being he was happy, in love, and felt a purpose in life. He found his soul mate which everyone will at some point given the chance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment