Saturday, September 27, 2008

ENTRY 18

Quote: "the unchildlike look and voice with which you affirmed that the very thoughts of me made you sick, and asserted that I had treated you with miserable cruelty... I felt fear, as if an animal that I had struck or pushed had looked up at me with human eyes and cursed me in a man's voice" (241).

Reflection: The truth between Jane and her Aunt Reed is Jane's passionate argument with her aunt before she left for boarding school scared her aunt and scarred her for life. No one had ever spoken to Mrs. Reed in such a manner, but I don't think Jane was out of line, even if she was only ten years old. Mrs. Reed treated Jane like dirt and not as her own like she promised her husband she would, and she deserves to die guilty for her cruelty. Interesting that a ten-year old girl can shake the bones of a bitter woman who showed nothing but disgust for the child. Jane may feel one of two emotions from hearing her Aunt speak these words on her death bed. One being proud that she stood up for herself and made her aunt regret the way she treated Jane her whole life to the point that she thought about her everyday on her death bed. Or the other feeling a sense of regret for lashing out the way she did and permanently traumatizing her aunt. I would be proud that I made an impact on her if I were treated in such a horrible manner.

No comments: