Quote: "Through that I departed: it, too, I shut; and now I was out of Thornfield" (323).
Reflection: Jane knew she had to flee Thornfield before another meeting with Mr. Rochester which would happen right in the morning when people were to be awake. She knew that any more words from him would restrain her from leaving, and she would yield to staying by his side. Although this is what she wished for and she longed to be with him married, knowing that they could never be real and true pushed her to run away. She was sad to run out on little Adele and Mrs. Fairfax, but she did not want to live a life of sin which is what would have happened if she would have stayed with Mr. Rochester. I wonder how far ahead Jane has thought out leaving Thornfield. Let me remind you that she has no friends, relatives, money, or any kind of connection. Where will she get her next meal? Job? Shilling? How is she going to survive without all these things. For her heart's sake it may be easier to leave Thornfield behind and start over, but for her life's sake she should stay and work out some kind of situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment