Quote: "For instance, the night before I am married! I am sure I shall not be able to sleep. Will you promise to sit up with me to bear me company? To you I can talk of my lovely one: for now you have seen her and know her" (221).
Reflection: For some reason I feel like Mr. Rochester intentionally makes comments about Miss Ingram and their marriage to rub it in Jane's face. I don't see why he would propose to Miss Ingram because his love for Jane is so obvious and true. I think Mr. Rochester does not have true intentions to marry Miss Ingram and mentions her only to make Jane jealous and to extract a reaction from her. However, knowing Jane and her solemnity, she will be calm and courteous in front of Mr. Rochester. How painful it must be for her though to listen to the man she loves so dearly talk about his life to be spent with another woman. Her heart must be breaking with every word he speaks, and she still treats him kindly and talks politely about their marriage. She offers him advice and listens to his stories about her and the gifts he wishes to give her. There is nothing more painful than the feeling of rejection and knowing someone you love does not feel the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment