Wednesday, September 24, 2008

ENTRY 7

Quote: "While I paced softly on, the last sound I expected to hear in so still a region, a laugh, struck my ear. It was a curious laugh; distinct, formal, mirthless. I stopped: the sound ceased, only for an instant; it began again louder: for at first, though distinct, it was very low" (110).

Reflection: Probably the most terrifying sound one can witness when they wake up in the middle of the night in a huge lonely mansion. I can only imagine what was running through Jane's mind when she realized that someone lurked in the house around her with her door unbolted and vulnerable to an attack of some sort. Not to mention, she most likely experienced an awful flashback to her childhood when her cruel aunt locked her in the haunted room of the Reed mansion. I do not see how she had the courage to get out of her bed and lock her door knowing there was someone half crazy under the same roof. I don't know what would be worse, the sound of the laugh itself, or the reason behind the laugh. No one just chuckles to themself for no reason, whoever laughed must have been up to something mischievous.

No comments: